Wednesday, October 15, 2008

topsyturvy world...

After a long time, news that excited me was Aravind Adiga winning booker..
kiran Desai writes about globalized modern india and gets a booker
Aravind Adiga writes about todays India of corrupt politics and reality and gets a booker..
so there u go...now u know what gets u a booker...
Iam glad they both won bookers writing about India..
I just started reading Adigas white tiger and can see why it won the coveted prize..like kiran desai he deserves his win...good writing..
what else..
Economy and its downward spiral is just unbelievable. I cannot even figure out why they waited until the 700 billion collapse happened. I cannot even understand why they did not stop and investigate when they lost the first billion..unbelievable times..
Being a girl probably, I was never interested in learning about world economy or investing or money market..it is like not having that much interest in electronic gadjets or sports..it was not a girl thing for some reason for a long time for me..
This month the economy fluctuations changed me..
I kept busy educating myself about stocks, investing, understanding the loss of money last few weeks, I never was interested in economy or stocks or investing or money market before, but now Iam keen on understanding the system, which is going to affect all of us not only now but in the years to come..
how could they give loans to people who cannot afford?
how did they let the housing market drop down so bad?
How did they end up spending so much money on iraq war?
how did they not see this collapse a year ahead with all the intelligence and sources?
all this is a mystery for me..
I used to think that economist and business people here are the smartest in the world , apperently not now..
may be everyone should read future shock and prepare for future..
anticipating tomorrows needs and tomorrow world and economic market is so so important..too bad they waited so long to realise who bad the state of affairs is..
too bad..
Politics was also not my thing..I used to think once upon a time that following politics or politicians is a total waste of time..
Iam also following US politics as never before..this presidential race has been the most interesting political race for me so far...It matters whom we elect though I cannot vote in US right now, for some reason it matters a lot..
tonites debate is going to be interesting..mccain vs obama..now that palin factor faded and is more controversial may be people will get into the reality of the candidates and their philosophies of how they will run the country...who ever wins is going to have a hard time no matter what with this economy..
from health care to economy to education this election and the opinions of both candidates matters a lot..those who can vote should pay attentiont to these candidates and vote..it is probably the most important election in recent times considering how volatile the world and the economy is..
And equally as the presidential debates I am enjoying watching saturday nite live as never before...it is as if within the last two months the things I do, the stuff I watch on tv changed drastically..now Iam hooked on to debates, news, night line, saturday nite live, anything that comes on economy, politics...
cant believe it..
my life changed otherwise too last two months..
been busy working nonstop..did not take any vacation this year so far saving it all for my india trip to go home..so tired and exhausted..
gave up volunteering and all social activities for these last four months of the year as I needed some time for myself..
Iam busy learning about economy, stocks, travel, politics etc.,
Did spend sometime in dussehra festivities...cooking,cleaning, groceries and chores taking away the rest of the time that I have...
my life has been so busy too planning to long trip to India this year end and getting visas to a couple of other countries that I dont have that much time now a days to volunteer or do anything else..
books I read
The brief wondorous life of oscar wao - junot diaz which has been a very interesting read..
movies I saw
mostly travel videos of europe and asia which are fun to watch..one of the interesting movie I watched was himalaya about nepalese old man who travels all the way through mountains and snow with his grandson to sell salt and for just a morsel of food..
travel videos make me realise how different life is in different countries..
life is going on..as usual same routine single working girls life...
God knows when my single life will end and when I get to share this beautiful life with someone special but until then Iam glad to go home for a month, finally forget this topsyturvy world and spend time with nephews , nieces, family, friends in India before I get back to this race again in jan next year..