Tuesday, October 28, 2008

diwali memories , this and that..

Finally Diwali is here..
miss the fireworks, authentic indian sweets, rangoli, new clothes, goodtimes with family...
when I was kid diwali was a such a big hangama with granny, mom,dad around. the nite before huge hangama with rangoli with all girls in the neighbourhood..morning granny would apply oil to our hair and wash our hairs, then new clothes, pooja, eloborate five course lunch, then busy early evenings decorating all the house and walls outside with diyas , then bursting fireworks, eating sweets and ending the nite with smiles.
As I grew up a lil bit, it was just mom, dad, me and sis..it was quieter times..no hungama...new clothes, good lunch, pooja, lesss fireworks, sweet and sleep..best part was early evening decorating the house I grew up in with diyas..
Now last few years after dad passed away, we sold our home in small town, it is much quieter...no proper home or walls to decorate diyas...no proper family it is just me and mom hanging out with aunts or cousins at their places celebrating diwali..
ofcourse most of the last 12 years diwali is here in US..sometimes it is just another ordinary day..sometimes like this year it will be a lil bit lively pooja at a friends place, then pooja at temple and fireworks at temple thanks to the temple..Nov1st I am volunteering to cook at temple as a part of diwali celebrations so it is going to be ok diwali..
life goes on..
as we age things change..
but I cannot wait to find a nice traditional boy, get married, start my own family, celebrate diwali with my kids and hubby and family, have a own house..restarting the tradition all over again.. cycles of life.
what else.
I read Aravind adigas novel white tiger..
mighty impressed.. Adigas novel is realistic down to earth simple well told sensitive story of a car driver..very well written, very fine details of everyday existance of poor and rich, corruption and politics in India..great novel to read on modern India, richly deserves a booker..
what else.
Iam busy planning my India trip..got my italian visa too..busy with travel plans, shopping for nephews and nieces.. waiting for much awaitied vacation..
Iam so glad to go home to visit my family after 2years of being away from them..life is hard specially if u are working girl...out of 600 days in two years I get 30 days with family..rest is all waiting for those 30 days...
life has been busy otherwise too..
my dads third death anniversary was last week. so I did the traditional karma pooja at the temple who says girls cannot do it..priest helped me do it north indian punjabi style as he knew only that way and it was good...it was a week of nostalgia, melancholy, philosophical..some people can never be replaced in life..it is a hole in the heart and you just learn to live with it..
week ahead looks busy with work
weekend of volunteering, shopping for india trip..life goes on..
so much to do as usual..