Friday, August 1, 2008

this and that this week..

News this week
sad about blasts in India..innocent people dying. I prayed for India and US safety last weekend..
mccains negative attacks on obama comparing him to paris hilton and brittany too cheesy..why negative campaigning. focus on yourself and your positives, thats my motto...sell urself and ur positives..if they are good enough u will win..
Abc news says studies show women are happy until their 40s and men are happy after 40s until old age.. too bad..next decades are going to be sad for women like me..older men happier than older women
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080801/sc_livescience/oldermenhappierthanolderwomen;_ylt=Ag6TS8QPCuJGq7BW6k3YtYus0NUE
lovely pictures of solar eclipse
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Total-eclipse-sun/ss/events/sc/080108solareclipse#photoViewer=/080801/481/1042d0bde5384f97864380cca569eb9f
books Iam reading :
salman rushdies enchantress- gets better after 100 pages, not as good as other rushdie books, feels like a history lesson but not too bad either, very creative
harikunzrus my revolutions - good through out, interesting story, characters, well written
I am reading a book on school system is US for our schools and colleges in India that my family runs..it is some personal business reading..
I am enjoying doing cross words puzzles too these days.. learning new words..
Dont have anyone to play scrabble with but whomever I marry Iam sure we will play lot of scrabble and do cross words puzzles and do word games together..and have lots of discussions on books we read..
movies I saw
love story 2050 - lovely picturization, scenic beauty, ok story, bad acting, bad music but romantic enough
jaane tu na jaane hum- very good acting, ok picturization, boring story, ok music, not romantic at all.
saw odd telugu movies nothing interesting just time pass ones..
I am looking forward to seeing sarkar raj this weekend..
music I listened to this week..shammi kapoor janwar songs total turn on for me, so so romantic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo1IGrPPrd8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhcACgr41AQ&feature=related
food I ate and cooked:
made upma, telugu kadi, alu+tindora+tomato sabji..had haldirams ready to go bhelpuri twice this week with evening tea..it is pretty good..
Ate punjabi restaurant khana..I have to admit I like punjabi food as much as I like telugu food..
weekend menu for me to cook - dosa, home made punjabi alugobi sabji and home made roti
what else
thought almost every weekend Iam volunteering I should take a break..
But then fox ran this story of a local food pantry having to close it because of lack of food donations and food pantry supports 800 families..so there goes me..
Next minute I knew I am talking to people, mobilising my volunteers and friends and running a massive food drive to keep this food pantry from closing.so there I go..next two weekends booked running the food drive..it ends august 9th.
August 16th is another bone marow drive. so there goes mylife...
Sometimes we want life to go one way, but life takes us the other way..
I know as all my relatives remind me its time to marry, settle, have kids, my life just seems to take me other way..
Most of my old school mates and college mates would be surprised if they hear about me as a scientist living in US and seeing me as a working girl last 13years in US.
One of my seniors met me in my company cafe some 3 years back and was shocked to see me. She was a big city girl. I was a small town/village girl. She naturally assumed I would marry by 20,have a whole bunch of kids settled in a remote village in India. I dont blame her. Because I was this silent girl wearing lungavoni with oiled hair and two plaits who rarely spoke and was so shy and so family oriented that you could bet on me to settle in marraige as soon as I finished degree.
No one knew I was college magazine editor twice before I turned 17, no one knew I wrote a mini novel before I turned 18, no one knew I wrote poetry in english when I was 19, no one knew by the time I turned 20 I read Aynrand and atlas shrugged became my bible and ramayana...and no one knew who I was at home either..
when I was 18 if you asked me what I wanted to with my life, I would have said I will be journalist or a IAS officer. All my teachers who knew me very well thought though I was good at science I would end up as an IAS or a IFS officer as I was so all rounded knowing everything about whats going on in the world..
But I ended up majoring in genetic engineering, became a scientist, now I dont do any more of genetic engineering or cloning, barely 10% of my job is biology, 30% is robotics and remaining 60% is computer data analysis..
I never thought I will be in US..here Iam now very americanized and very indianish too..and cant live without either countries and love both equally..
Here Iam a career woman, scientist by day time, event organizer and volunteer event chair by weekends and trying to be a writer if I have any more spare time to write, fighting on immigration causes sometimes, sometimes chairing odd events like picnics for 100people for free..
sometimes life takes u somewhere else..
13 long years with no boyfriends, no marriage, no soulmate living in US working and working..I know relatives tell me what is this life? I agree what a monastic life right...it is as if my youth just ran away and Iam still a child waiting for real love..
friends and family remind me to settle down often...
yap I want to get married, settle with a cute guy, have children which I cannot wait to have but kya kareen god seems to have other plans..may be girls like me need to have a guy come and sweep me off my feet from somewhere and take me away with him...until then volunteering will keep me busy I guess..
weekend activities:
brunch with girlfriends saturday morning
this lovely exhibition called bodies. scary but dont miss it, Iam scared to go but still will go..
http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/
http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/bodies.html
saturday afternoon bodies exhibition
glad Iam not a doctor, I dont like seeing bodies and I have made up my mind to never marry a doctor.
saturday evening is an art exhibition of a friend
sunday morning at the temple
then sunday evening biking and boating at the canal with a whole bunch of girlfriends.
for tonite, doesnot even feel like a friday with busy week at work and so much data to look at.. I just want an elachi chai, some haldiram ready to eat bhelpuri, a nice dinner